Tuesday, September 29, 2009

first~!

The title is probably too obscure even if you are familiar with Plato. In any case, I felt that this appropriate for this blog. Archaic words of wisom aside, I myself believe that fun and games are important. It’s an interesting observation that through the cutthroat crucible of evolution, “advanced” mammals are the ones that expend their precious calories on play. It would not be an absolute lie to say that a prominent life goal among my peers is to simply have fun.

Disclaimer: I probably accept this as true because it’s convenient for me.
Note: It might actually be true.
In any case:

I like to play games. Pen and paper games are endless entertainment. It takes so long to resolve a game like tic-tac-to compared to the time it takes to think of a minor rule change to turn everything upside-down.

Come on, there’s got to be another game theory buff out there somewhere, right….?
*cough*


Card games to me are the perfect embodiment of so many elements of life. The whole dynamic of each individual slowly sharing information in an order that most benefits them manifests itself from classrooms to political debates to “what were you doing last night?!”

There is also the competition aspect inherent in most games. I know some people thrive on the atmosphere of competition. There are people who love to sit in tournament and just soak it all in. The tension, the pressure, how where every single molecule of air is about to explode, some love it. I am not like that. What I do like, however, is the mindgames: that in order to win, you need to know your opponent. To “flip the chessboard”. To understand them deeply enough such that you can predict their actions. This is the knowledge that comes from playing, and not much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment